Hot Topics

Goose Creeks logo Goose Creeks logo Pathways Logo

Contact Building

Mon - Fri 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

A: City Hall
55 Grinnell Plaza
Sheridan WY 82801

P: 307.674.5941
F: 307.672.0045

Email Building Official:
Kevin Bare

Building FAQs

Building FAQ

Do you need a building permit?

Yes, if your building costs are over $3,000 or the building is over 200 sq. ft. Some electrical, mechanical and plumbing work must be permitted regardless of the value.

How long does it take to get my building permit?

The permitting process normally takes about two weeks if there are no issues found during the review process.  It may take longer if there are any zoning, utilities, or fire code issues to work out.

Is my building permit ready?

You will be notified via phone when your building permit has been issued and is ready to be picked up.

Can I get an inspection?

Inspection requests will be accepted until 7am on any given day for inspections that day or beyond.  Inspection requests may be requested day or night by phone at 674-5941 or by fax at 672-0045 and must include the following information:

  • Contractor Name
  • Address
  • Permit #
  • Type of inspection requested
  • Whether or not it is a reinspection.

How do I become a licensed contractor?

You may stop by the building department and pickup our contractor licensing procedures packet and application.  At that time we will go over the procedures and requirements with you and answer any questions you may have.  The information is also available by fax and email.

Which codes are required for Sheridan?

Please see Chapter 7 of the Sheridan City Code for the current building and building regulation codes.

Was my inspection approved?

When inspections are completed, a copy of the “Inspection Report” will be left on the job site.  If you don’t see one, please call our office at 674-5941.

What does the code require?

All contractors should have the current code books for reference when questions arise.  For more difficult questions, you may contact our office at 674-5941.