City Hall

Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

A: 55 Grinnell Plaza
Sheridan WY 82801

P: 307.674.6483
F: 307.674.2192

Contact Planning

Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

A: 55 Grinnell Plaza
Sheridan WY 82801

P: 307.675.4226
F: 307.674.2195

Email Planning Director:
Robert Briggs

Planning FAQ

How can I find out what my property is zoned?

You can determine your property’s zoning by consulting the City of Sheridan Zoning Map or by locating your property using Sheridan County’s Interactive Map. You can also contact the Planning Division for additional assistance.

How do I find out what uses are allowed in the various zoning districts or what my building setbacks are?

The uses allowed for different zoning districts and setbacks can be found in Appendix A of the Sheridan Municipal Code. Building setback requirements can also be found on page 91 of the Developer’s Handbook.

How tall can I build my fence?

Fences enclosing rear and side yards may be a maximum of 6 feet tall.  Fences enclosing front yards may be a maximum of 4 feet tall.

Where can I place my fence?

Any fence erected should be entirely on your property.  Keep in mind that most property lines do not end at the curb or beginning of an alley.  If you are in doubt, contact a licensed surveyor before placing your fence.

Where are my property lines/corners?

Only a licensed surveyor can accurately show you the location of property lines or corners.  A number of licensed surveyors can be found in the local phone book.

How many children may I provide childcare for in my home?

Residences in R-1 and R-2 zoning districts may provide care for up to 10 children.  Please keep in mind that the total number of children allowed per location is determined by the state Department of Family Services.

Where can I have a childcare center?

Childcare centers are allowed in R-3, B-1, B-2, and M1 districts.

How do I apply for a zoning variance?

Depending on what you are seeking to do, you may require a zoning variance. Please contact the Planning Division for help on how to apply for a variance.